MediaPortal will run fine on recent Windows computers (see supported Windows versions below).
However, make sure you have installed the software components described in the following list.
Recommended Minimum Hardware
Although MediaPortal may run on even less powerful hardware, the following is the minimum recommended for SD playback:
- CPU: Intel P4 with 2.0 GHz / AMD XP-2000+ or above
- Memory: 1024 MB
- HDD: 600 MB for MediaPortal
- HDD: 50 GB for TV recordings and time shifting. Recordings can take up to 8GB per hour
- Video card: DirectX 9 compatible video card with at least 128 MB of video memory
- TV card: MediaPortal TV-Server supports all analog TV cards with hardware MPEG-2 encoder and all digital TV cards which use BDA-drivers. For specific features, see Supported TV Cards in our wiki
Recommended Hardware for HD
The following is the minimum hardware recommended for HD (1080p/i) playback for both videos and TV.
- CPU: Dual-core CPU with 2,0 GHz or above
- Memory: 1024 MB
- Video card:
- Codecs: LAV Filters (can be selected during installation as of 1.3.0 beta), although you may use any codecs you wish with MediaPortal
Testing HD Playback
TV recordings can use a lot of hard disk space. The exact amount depends on the bit rate, resolution, and format of the the transmission. A one hour SD recording will typically require approximately 2.5 GB of space; a one hour HD recording will typically require approximately 5 GB of space.NTFS file system is highly recommended as it significantly increases the number of hours you can record to the same amount of disk space.USB sticks are not suitable for recording/timeshifting drives as the large capacity sticks often have abysmal write speeds and come formatted as FAT32 by default.
TV-Server specific Requirements:
Database Server Requirements:
It is necessary to select one of the following databases during installation:
Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition
Sun MySQL 5 (Windows)
- MySQL 5
The installer downloads and configures the SQL server for you. However, you may use almost any version of SQL Server from 2005 onwards.
The TV-Server depends on the RPC Locator service activation. This service should be automatically installed with the Client for Microsoft Network under the properties of your network card.
We strongly recommend to use static IP addresses and disable IPv6!
Additional Recommended Tools:
Supported Operating Systems
- Windows Media Center Edition 2005 with service pack 3
- Windows Vista 32- and 64-bit with at least service pack 2
- Windows 7 32- and 64-bit
- Windows 8 32- and 64-bit (as of v1.3.0)
- Windows 8.1 32- and 64-bit (as of v1.5.0)
We strongly recommend you always install always the latest available service pack for your platform.
Unsupported Operating Systems
Please note that the following operating systems are not officially supported. However, you will be able to run MediaPortal on some of them. Use the following overview as a guideline only.MP won't run on the following OS:
MP will issue a warning, but will install on:
- Windows 2000 and older editions
- Windows XP 32-bit Edition before service pack 3
- Windows XP 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista before service pack 2
- All beta/preview versions of Microsoft Windows
- Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012 (Windows Server operating systems do not include TV tuner support)
- All beta/release candidate service packs
- Windows XP 32-bit Edition with at least service pack 3
Please, do not submit bug reports when running an unsupported operating system.
Operating System Components
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4
- Microsoft Microsoft DirectX 9.0c (June 2010 redist)
- Note: Using MP 1.0.0 or above the installer will automatically install latest DirectX if necessary.
- Note: In Vista it's also required to have November 2008 DirectX End User Runtime installed.
- Microsoft latest available Windows Media Player Version
- Note: MP 1.0.0 or above will automatically prompt you for the download of latest WMP.
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
- Note: Using MP 1.0.0 or above the installer will automatically install latest Visual C++ Redistributable Package if necessary.
- Note: If the component is downloaded and installed manually, be sure to use the x86 package even on x64 systems.
- Note: On Microsoft's download page, Windows 7 is not listed for this package. Nevertheless it is required and working fine for Windows 7, too.
Required Updates and Hotfixes:
- Common to all operating systems
- Run Windows Update to install all available updates
- Only for XP / MCE2005
- BDA/DVB hotfix - This hotfix is essential for viewing digital TV broadcasts using either analog or digital TV cards. It is already included in roll up 2 of Windows MCE 2005, for Windows XP you have to install it manually. [Updated psisdecd.dll]
- Firewire hotfix - This hotfix is necessary if you have upgraded to Windows XP SP2 and use FireWire devices. It is already included in Windows XP SP3.
- Videoplayback flicker hotfix - This hotfix resolves a problem with flickering video playback. [Updated quartz.dll] It is already included in Windows XP SP3.
- Common to all operating systems