- 1. General
- 2. Hardware
- 3. Configuration
- 4. TV
- 5. Videos
- 6. DVD playback
- 7. Music
- 8. Radio
- 9. General Development
- 10. Skin Development
- 11. Performance
- 12. Changelog
MediaPortal FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Table Of Content
Welcome to our MediaPortal FAQ. For quick navigation use the FAQ Index.
Also, be sure to check out our specific FAQ Guides for:
Why should I use MediaPortal?
- 2.1. Does MediaPortal support my TV tuner?
- 2.2. How many TV-Cards can I use properly with MediaPortal?
- 2.3. How many LNBs can i use with MediaPortal?
- 2.4. Can I run MediaPortal properly with my old DirectX7/8 VGA-Card?
- 2.5. If I have a dual tuner card, how many shows can I record/watch at the same time?
- 2.6. Can I run MediaPortal properly on a secondary display?
- 2.7. Does MediaPortal support media extenders like the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?
- 2.8. Does MediaPortal support UPNP A/V or DLNA
- 2.9. Does my remote control work with MediaPortal?
- 3.1. Some configuration menus seem to have disappeared. How can I find them?
- 3.2. How do I select more than one folder when setting up Shares in Configuration?
- 4.1. What is the default recording format and how can I change this?
- 4.2. Where will my recordings be saved by default and how can I change this?
- 4.3. Is it required to start MediaPortal to record a scheduled TV Show?
- 4.4. Can I watch encrypted channels with MediaPortal?
- 4.5. The playback of TV is horizontally cut into halfs, what is that?
- 4.6. 'Shift'+'1' -> What does the displayed info mean?
- 4.7. How do I add TV Logos to the EPG?
- 4.8. How do zoom modes work?
- 5.1. Can I watch VCDs or SVCDs with MediaPortal?
- 5.2. How can I play files with multiple audio streams?
- 5.3. Some .mkv files fail to start playback?
- 5.4. The playback of the video is horizontally cut into halves, what is that?
- 5.5. How do I play Quicktime movies in Mediaportal
- 5.6. Why am I getting no sound when playing DVDs or videos with AC3 audio?
- 5.7. How do zoom modes work?
- 7.1. How do I switch to a full screen visualization when playing a song in MediaPortal?
- 7.2. I saw nice album pictures on some screenshots, where can I add them?
- 7.3. My music files have different volume levels, how can I avoid adjusting volume on every song change?
- 9.1. Can I compile MediaPortal on my own?
- 9.2. Where can I find and download the MediaPortal source code?
- 9.3. What's the size of MediaPortal source code?
- 9.4. I have changed some code, how can I make it available to the public?
- 9.5. I have coded a plugin/skin/whatever. How can I make it available to the public?
- 9.6. Do I have to keep some formatting or coding style when coding for MediaPortal?
- 10.1. Is there any documentation for the skin XML files?
- 10.2. I have changed graphics or skin XML files but don't see a change in MediaPortal.
- 11.1. Why doesn't MediaPortal perform as well as the application provided with my TV card?
- 11.2. Why does MediaPortal use DirectX9 Video Mixing Renderer (VMR9) for Video Playback?
- 11.3. Would a stripped-down version of MediaPortal be faster?
Why should I use MediaPortal?
Review the MediaPortal Features to see why you should use MediaPortal over other media center software. See what some of MediaPortal's users have to say about "Why everything else is just a Media Center".