- 1. General
- 2. Hardware
- 3. Configuration
- 4. TV
- 5. Videos
- 6. DVD playback
- 7. Music
- 8. Radio
- 9. General Development
- 10. Skin Development
- 11. Performance
- 12. Changelog
MediaPortal FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Welcome to our MediaPortal FAQ. For quick navigation use the FAQ Index.
Also, be sure to check out our specific FAQ Guides for:
- 1.1. Why should I use MediaPortal?
- 1.2. Does MediaPortal run on Linux?
- 1.3. Does MediaPortal run on Windows MCE2005?
- 1.4. Does MediaPortal run on Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)?
- 1.5. Does MediaPortal run on Windows 7
- 1.6. Does MediaPortal run on Windows 2000, Windows XP (Pre Service Pack 2)32 bit version or Windows XP 64 bit Version?
- 1.7. Does MediaPortal run on Windows Vista (pre Service Pack 1) , Windows Server 2003 , Windows Server 2008 or Windows XP/Vista with Beta Service Pack versions?
- 1.8. I am using a stripped down or streamlined version of XP. Why does MediaPortal run so badly on it?
- 1.9. MediaPortal Freezes/Locks Up within seconds of the GUI showing on Windows XP ONLY.
- 1.10. I can't run Microsoft Media Center after installing MediaPortal
- 1.11. I would like to help out, what can I do?
- 1.12. Where can I post a bug-report?
- 1.13. Where can I post a feature request?
- 1.14. What is SVN?
- 1.15. How do I make screenshots and attach to forum?
- 2.1. Does MediaPortal support my TV tuner?
- 2.2. How many TV-Cards can I use properly with MediaPortal?
- 2.3. How many LNBs can i use with MediaPortal?
- 2.4. Can I run MediaPortal properly with my old DirectX7/8 VGA-Card?
- 2.5. If I have a dual tuner card, how many shows can I record/watch at the same time?
- 2.6. Can I run MediaPortal properly on a secondary display?
- 2.7. Does MediaPortal support media extenders like the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?
- 2.8. Does MediaPortal support UPNP A/V or DLNA
- 2.9. Does my remote control work with MediaPortal?
- 3.1. Some configuration menus seem to have disappeared. How can I find them?
- 3.2. How do I select more than one folder when setting up Shares in Configuration?
- 4.1. What is the default recording format and how can I change this?
- 4.2. Where will my recordings be saved by default and how can I change this?
- 4.3. Is it required to start MediaPortal to record a scheduled TV Show?
- 4.4. Can I watch encrypted channels with MediaPortal?
- 4.5. The playback of TV is horizontally cut into halfs, what is that?
- 4.6. 'Shift'+'1' -> What does the displayed info mean?
- 4.7. How do I add TV Logos to the EPG?
- 4.8. How do zoom modes work?
- 5.1. Can I watch VCDs or SVCDs with MediaPortal?
- 5.2. How can I play files with multiple audio streams?
- 5.3. Some .mkv files fail to start playback?
- 5.4. The playback of the video is horizontally cut into halves, what is that?
- 5.5. How do I play Quicktime movies in Mediaportal
- 5.6. Why am I getting no sound when playing DVDs or videos with AC3 audio?
- 5.7. How do zoom modes work?
- 7.1. How do I switch to a full screen visualization when playing a song in MediaPortal?
- 7.2. I saw nice album pictures on some screenshots, where can I add them?
- 7.3. My music files have different volume levels, how can I avoid adjusting volume on every song change?
- 9.1. Can I compile MediaPortal on my own?
- 9.2. Where can I find and download the MediaPortal source code?
- 9.3. What's the size of MediaPortal source code?
- 9.4. I have changed some code, how can I make it available to the public?
- 9.5. I have coded a plugin/skin/whatever. How can I make it available to the public?
- 9.6. Do I have to keep some formatting or coding style when coding for MediaPortal?
- 10.1. Is there any documentation for the skin XML files?
- 10.2. I have changed graphics or skin XML files but don't see a change in MediaPortal.
Table Of Content
Welcome to our MediaPortal FAQ. For quick navigation use the FAQ Index.
Why should I use MediaPortal?
Review the MediaPortal Features to see why you should use MediaPortal over other media center software. See what some of MediaPortal's users have to say about "Why everything else is just a Media Center".
Does MediaPortal run on Linux?
Yes, it does - out of the box. As Windows MCE is basically XP, all XP requirements also apply for MCE. See our Requirements page - especially the required updates tab for XP / MCE2005. The MCE services are stopped by MediaPortal as well automatically.
MediaPortal will NOT install on Windows 2000, Windows XP 32 bit version (pre Service Pack 2) or Windows XP 64 bit version. See: Requirements
Does MediaPortal run on Windows Vista (pre Service Pack 1) , Windows Server 2003 , Windows Server 2008 or Windows XP/Vista with Beta Service Pack versions?
These versions of windows are not officially supported by the MediaPortal Team. Windows 2000 and the server versions of Windows lack the Stream Buffer Engine (SBE) by Microsoft which MediaPortal relies on for watching TV. See: Requirements
I am using a stripped down or streamlined version of XP. Why does MediaPortal run so badly on it?
A current problem with 690G chipset / x1250 GPU has the inability to perform a certain standard .NET 2 function called reflections ("FLIPX" or "FLIPY"). MediaPortal uses this standard function frequently throughout its skins. The desktop appears to freeze or lockup but navigation through the GUI still occurs, only noticeable through sounds events. Changing between full screen or windowed mode (by pressing ALT + ENTER) will refresh the GUI to the navigation key strokes pressed after the freeze/lockup but will freeze/lockup again within seconds.. NOTE:- This only occurs on operating systems with Windows XP (all Service Packs). To resolve this issue, drivers of Catalyst Control Center (CCC) 7.2 or lower must be used. Alternatively, if the later drivers are used/required, modified skin files can be used which do not use this standard .NET 2 feature and will eliminate the freeze/lockup issue. These can be found in the following forum thread, http https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/ge...roblems-29894/
This is not an issue with MediaPortal but with the chipset itself as Windows Vista/7 users do not suffer this issue.
After installing MediaPortal, if you try and run Microsoft Media Center (MCE) the TV Section won't work. By default, MediaPortal marks the MCE services as disabled in the services control panel within Windows. This is done to ensure there are no conflicts between MCE and MediaPortal. A patch can be installed to configure your preferences and can be found in the MediaPortal forum thread: Setting For MCE Services Stop.
I would like to help out, what can I do?
Please review the Contribute: Get Involved web page which explains the different ways you can help on the MediaPortal project.
First of all, please check if a bug has not already been reported in the Mantis bug tracker, or in the Quality Assurance > Bug Reports forum. If the issue relates to a development version of MediaPortal, such as an alpha, beta, or RC release, then review and post bugs in the Development > MediaPortal Alpha's, RC's and SVN-Builds sub forum.
If your bug is not reported there, please read the sticky forum post How to Report Bugs and Get Support thoroughly and then post a new thread which describes the bug you found in detail.
First of all, please check if your request has not already been implemented or is listed in the Improvement Suggestions sub forum.
If it's not, you're welcome to describe your feature with as many details as you can and post it in that Improvement Suggestions forum section. Those details help the developers to get an idea how the feature should look at the end and helps other users to give some input and enhancements to your idea. See: Improvement Suggestions for guidance.
MediaPortal can make use of as many cards you have configured in order to allow multiple recordings, time shifting, watching live TV etc. In some versions of Windows XP there is a bug in the support for multiple DVB cards within Windows XP itself (specifically the BDA driver stack): the good news is that there's a fix available, please see the Tuner Issue and channel-scan crash - Windows XP forum thread for further instructions and information. Please note that those files are not distributed by Team MediaPortal, as they are copyright by Microsoft.
You will find more information on the MediaPortal Requirements page.
If I have a dual tuner card, how many shows can I record/watch at the same time?
Can I watch VCDs or SVCDs with MediaPortal?
Yes, you can. See Using MediaPortal > DVD/Disc
How can I play files with multiple audio streams?
First you should release it in our Extensions forum for testing. Once you feel it is ready for public use, you can submit it to our Downloads Repository. See Extensions > Download Repository for instructions on adding your extension.