Table of Contents
A step by step guide to installing MediaPortal using the Installer (Deploy Tool)
The primary function of MP is to provide a whole-house media solution, which includes sharing TV Tuner(s) resources to multiple systems (clients) on a home network. Thus, the software is split into two parts:
Warning: Always run the installer from your local hard disk, not from a network share. The Installer is a .net application which can not be started if is located on a network share.
The design of MP is flexible. You can install and configure it to suit your hardware configuration.
Thus, through a series of questions and answers, the Installer supports a variety of different installations based on your configuration:
You can use MediaPortal as a media center without Live TV:
- Choose One Click Installation to install only MediaPortal (client) not the TV-Server or TV Client plugin
Use MediaPortal to Watch TV?
- Choose One Click Installation to install both MediaPortal and TV-Server* *on the same system
Server, Client or both
- Choose Advanced Installation to install:
- Single-seat - both the server-side and the client-side can be installed on the same HTPC (same as One Click Installation but you can select custom options)
- Dedicated TV-Server (master) - to install ONLY the TV-Server, not MediaPortal (client).
- MediaPortal client - to install ONLY MediaPortal without the TV-Server - the TV client can connect to another PC which has MediaPortal with either Single-seat or Dedicated TV-Server option installed on it.