Select the Play Disc Menu option to play the currently inserted Blu-ray, DVD or CD. The play disc setting in Configuration > Plugins enables you to choose whether the menu option is displayed in the Classic Home menu or the Plugins window.
Various related settings are available:
- for Blu-rays, Blu-ray Settings or Configuration > Blu-ray
- for DVDs, DVD Settings or Configuration > DVD
- for autoplay, Autoplay Settings or
- for mounting disc image files, Virtual Drive
Disc Image Files
- MediaPortal will transparently mount and unmount the image file as required.
- Images are visible in Videos Shares view and can be processed as regular video files. Movie info can be also added to the video database using the context menu item for IMDb lookup.
- Mounting images can take a little time. If it takes longer than expected, a dialog will appear to ask if you want MediaPortal to keep trying to mount the image file.
MediaPortal should be able to play almost all your Blu-ray discs - including the menus and extras - like any other Blu-ray player. This means you can enjoy the best Blu-ray video and audio quality within MediaPortal!
Only a few caveats and limitations apply:
- Playback of copy-protected Blu-rays requires the use of 3rd party decryption software such as AnyDVD HD or DVDFab Passkey Lite. Attempting to play a copy-protected Blu-ray without decryption software will result in an Unable to play index.bdmv error message. Most popular/commercial Blu-rays are copy-protected.
- BD-J menu support requires installation of a 32 bit version of the Oracle Java Runtime Environment. Get the latest version here.
- 3D Blu-rays aren't supported (yet!). Libbluray needs to fully support this feature before we can add support for it.
- Text based subtitles aren't supported. Only a small minority of Blu-ray discs seem to use text-based subtitles.
- Resuming from where you were last watching only works in title-mode.
- DxVA disabled) VC-1 interlaced video.
Blu-ray Play Mode - Menu or Title
The Select play mode dialog will be displayed when you choose to play a Blu-ray:
This dialog enables you to choose if you want to view the Menu (option 1) or directly play one of the titles.
Normally it's easiest to use menu mode. However, some Blu-rays don't have menus. Titles mode can also be used if MediaPortal fails to load/display the menu properly (please report such problems!).
The titles with the longest duration - which are likely to be the main movie titles on a movie Blu-ray - are listed first for your convenience. Additionally you can choose Select from all titles to select and view any title on the disc.
While playing a disc you can bring up the Context Menu by pressing. A variety of options are available:
Many of the options are common to regular Video Playback; others are specific to the type of disc you're playing.
The root menu (option 5) is the menu that's displayed when you start playing a DVD or select menu in the Blu-ray play mode dialog:
You can navigate this menu just as you would with a commercial Blu-ray or DVD player.
Some Blu-ray discs have a popup menu (option 6). Popup menus typically enable access to most of the settings available in the root menu without stopping the disc.
You can select a chapter (option 7) to view:
Show Root Menu
This page has no comments.