Provides information about the system requirements, software prerequisites and a step-by-step installation guide.
MediaPortal 2 was developed to run on modern operating systems and requires Windows 7 or higher in either the 32 and 64 bit version. While not officially supported, MediaPortal can also be operated on server systems and has been demonstrated to run on Microsoft Server 2012, 2016 and 2019.
Like any software, MediaPortal 2 has minimum system requirements in order to work. The hardware related system requirements are similar to the ones for MediaPortal 1, which can be found on our website under Products > MediaPortal > Requirements.
The MediaPortal installer will automatically identify, download and install missing system components depending on the CPU architecture:
x86 CPU available:
- .NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.15 (x86): https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/thank-you/runtime-desktop-6.0.16-windows-x86-installer
- ASP.NET Core Runtime 6.0.16 (x86): https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/thank-you/runtime-desktop-6.0.16-windows-x86-installer
- DirectX 9 Runtime (June 2010): http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=8109
- Visual C++ 2008 SP1 (x86) redistributables: https://download.microsoft.com/download/5/D/8/5D8C65CB-C849-4025-8E95-C3966CAFD8AE/vcredist_x86.exe
- Visual C++ 2010 (x86) redistributables: https://download.microsoft.com/download/5/B/C/5BC5DBB3-652D-4DCE-B14A-475AB85EEF6E/vcredist_x86.exe
- Visual C++ 2013 (x86) redistributables: https://download.microsoft.com/download/2/E/6/2E61CFA4-993B-4DD4-91DA-3737CD5CD6E3/vcredist_x86.exe
- Visual C++ 2019 (x86) redistributable: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/VC_redist.x86.exe
- LAV filters: http://install.team-mediaportal.com/MP2/install/LAVFilters.exe
- Dokan: http://install.team-mediaportal.com/MP2/install/DokanSetup-184.108.40.2060.exe
x64 CPU available (packages in addition to x86 list):
- .NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.15 (x64): https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/thank-you/runtime-desktop-6.0.15-windows-x64-installer
- ASP.NET Core Runtime 6.0.16 (x64): https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/thank-you/runtime-desktop-6.0.16-windows-x64-installer
- Visual C++ 2019 (x64) redistributable: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/VC_redist.x64.exe
Additional requirements for Windows 10 N and KN editions
If you have a N or KN version you need to manually download and install the respective feature pack before running the MediaPortal 2 installer:
- Media Feature Pack for Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=49919
- Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 Anniversary Update: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=53356
- Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 Creators Update (1703): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4016817/media-feature-pack-for-n-edition-of-windows-10-version-1703-april-2017
- Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4039813/media-feature-pack-for-windows-10-n-october-2017
- The most recent DirectX 9 runtime (June 2010) needs to be installed. DX9 is always necessary, even if a higher DirectX version (e.g. DX11) already exists on your system.
- Installer bootstrapper is .net 6 and the MSI package has no dependency on .net framework
- Installer runs on WIX4
- Client/server are both AnyCPU, MP2-Client.exe runs automatically on x86 or x64 depended on the CPU architecture
- MP2-Client will auto attach to an available server if it hasn't been attached to a server before, it will prefer a server on the local machine if given a choice
- The desktop runtime is required before the bootstrapper can run so a separate installer pops up for that if missing before our bootstrapper loads. ASP.Net is not technically a prerequisite of our bootstrapper but gets installed alongside the .net runtime in the same installer and doesn't show up in the bootstrapper
We have found that some of the above packages as well as the Dokan software cannot be installed if certain Windows updates are missing. In such cases the MediaPortal 2 installer will throw error messages with different error numbers (e.g.
0x80070001) and quit.
If you encounter such problems, run Windows Update and install missing security packages.
This page has no comments.