Provides information about the system requirements, software prerequisites and a step-by-step installation guide.
MediaPortal 2 was developed to run on modern operating systems and requires Windows 7 or higher in either the 32 and 64 bit version. While not officially supported, MediaPortal can also be operated on server systems and has been demonstrated to run under Microsoft Server 2012.
Like any software, MediaPortal 2 has minimum system requirements in order to work. The hardware related system requirements are similar to the ones for MediaPortal 1, which can be found on our website under Products > MediaPortal > Requirements.
The MediaPortal installer will automatically identify, download and install missing system components:
- .NET Framework 4.6.1 Full: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40779
- DirectX 9 Runtime (June 2010): http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=8109
- Visual C++ 2008 SP1 (x86) redistributables: http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=5582
- Visual C++ 2010 (x86) redistributables: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555
- Visual C++ 2013 (x86) redistributables: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784
- Visual C++ 2015 (X86) redistributables https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145
Additional requirements for Windows 10 N and KN editions
If you have a N or KN version you need to manually download and install the respective feature pack before running the MediaPortal 2 installer:
- Media Feature Pack for Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=49919
- Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 Anniversary Update: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=53356
- Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 Creators Update (1703): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4016817/media-feature-pack-for-n-edition-of-windows-10-version-1703-april-2017
- Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4039813/media-feature-pack-for-windows-10-n-october-2017
The most recent DirectX 9 runtime (June 2010) needs to be installed. DX9 is always necessary, even if a higher DirectX version (e.g. DX11) already exists on your system.
We have found that some of the above packages as well as the Dokan software cannot be installed if certain Windows updates are missing. In such cases the MediaPortal 2 installer will throw error messages with different error numbers (e.g.
0x80070001) and quit.
If you encounter such problems, run Windows Update and install missing security packages.
- Installation Procedure (Beginner)
- Custom Installation (Intermediate)
- Network Configurations
This page has no comments.