We are celebrating our 10th MediaPortal anniversary and are happy to offer you another release of MediaPortal 2!
This release is a "pre-beta" version which means all existing features should work without any problem. We will be making further improvements and adding new features but this release is definitely worth a try!
Be sure to read the instructions at the end of this news regarding installation, upgrade and extension compatibility.
Summary of changes
Compared to Alpha 4 this release brings new features, usability improvements and of course some bug fixes.
- Improved user experience:
- Reworked the configuration of Media Sources (aka "shares" in previous releases) so that configuration for new users should be more intuitive
- New themes
- Added a brand new "10th Anniversary" theme for Titanium skin
- Added themes for Titanium that use larger font sizes, bringing better readability on smaller screens
- New features and plugins
- Added "Refreshrate Changer" (aka DRC in MP1). It switches your display into a mode that matches your currently playing video rate
- Added initial support for Trakt.tv (scrobbling, sync MP2 library to Trakt). More developments will follow in future releases
- Added WASAPI support for BassPlayer. This enables high quality audio output for your HTPC
- Browsing network shares could fail under certain cases
- Fixes in the MediaPortal UPnP library, added an option to limit binding to specific IP addresses
- Improvements to Series and Movies detection
- Updated plugins
- OnlineVideos plugin is included in this release
- SlimTV plugin (both NativeTV and MPExtended) has been significantly improved since Alpha 4 release
- More plugins are available! (via our MP2 Plugins Downloads section on the website and forum)
- WebRadio plugin to play your favourite web radio streams inside MP2!
- New Cinema plugin to show all running movies in your favourite cinemas including playback of trailers
- New Application Launcher plugin
- WiFi configuration plugin (included)
- CEC remote plugin allows controlling MP2
The full change log is available here: MediaPortal 2 Anniversary Edition change log
Note: Screenshots are showing optional available plugins.
Before installing MediaPortal 2 make sure all requirements are installed.
Extract the downloaded .zip archive and simply run the .msi installer file. For screenshots or further details, refer to our Getting Started wiki.
Upgrade from Alpha 4 doesn't require any changes.
Feedback & Support
Discuss this release in the official release thread MediaPortal 2 - 10th Anniversary Edition
- If you are looking for further information please check out MediaPortal 2 wiki first. We are working constantly to improve it, and you can help!
- If you don't find an answer there create a new thread in MediaPortal 2 forums.
- If you find a bug, please check our Issue Tracker & bug report forums first. If it has not been reported already, create a new thread.
If you would like to support MediaPortal we would be happy to receive a small donation!
The Team wishes you a lot of fun with this new release!