MediaPortal 2 - Summer '15 Release
We are proud to release the "Summer '15 Release", providing users a new, vastly improved version of the next generation of MediaPortal. There are many new features and performance improvements in this release. MediaPortal 2 will continue to improve and evolve, but in the mean time install this version to see the impressive current features and support.
Be sure to read the instructions at the end of this article regarding installation, upgrade and extension compatibility.
Summary of changes
Compared to the 10th Anniversary Edition Update 1 (10thAE U1) this release brings a lot of new features, usability improvements and some bug fixes. And of course, MediaPortal 2 runs perfectly on Windows 10.
- New features and plugins:
- Bringing the best of MP1 and MP2: The cutting edge technologies of MediaPortal 2 now makes use of the matured and stable TV Engine 3 of MediaPortal 1. This makes MP2 a complete solution for daily use, no longer depending on additional TV components installed!
- Added support for showing "Latest Media"
- Added filter for watched / unwatched MediaItems
- Added extended metadata and fanart support
- Added support for high quality audio formats (DSD)
- Added support for local movie and series metadata (.nfo files) to importer
- Improved video playback quality by automatic video shader selection depending on video resolution (defaults to "Sharpen Complex" for SD video)
- Improved support for multi-episode files of series
- New "BlueVision" skin including grey theme
- Various minor improvements to existing skins
- Introduction of advanced plugin compatibility management
- Updated external components like Sqlite, ffmpeg
- Bugfixes in RefreshRateChanger plugin (error in calculation)
- Updated externals (like MediaInfo)
- TV Support:
- TV support has been extended. Now we support both the known stable TV engine from MP 1 (aka TVE3) and its upcoming successor TVE 3.5 (which is currently at alpha stage).
- Added support for MediaCenter recordings, they can be imported into recording section and are available like MP native ones. This includes .wtv and .dvr-ms files.
- More updated plugins and tools are available! (via our MP2 Plugins Downloads section on the website and forum):
- Atmolight plugin
- WebRadio plugin to play your favourite web radio streams inside MP2!
- Cinema plugin to show all running movies in your favourite cinemas including playback of trailers
- Application Launcher plugin
- WiFi configuration plugin (included)
- CEC remote plugin allows controlling MP2
The full change log is available here: MediaPortal 2 Summer Release '15 change log
Before installing MediaPortal 2, please make sure all the prerequisites are installed and met.
Extract the downloaded .zip archive and simply run the .msi installer file. For screenshots or further details, refer to our Getting Started wiki.
Due to the new compatibility management for plugins, older plugins can't be used without modifications on the "plugin.xml" file. Please refer to our new wiki section about this topic: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/8_Contribute/Plugin_Development/CompatibilityManagement.
As the TV Engine is now included in the installer, please make sure to stop existing MP1 TvServer to avoid conflicts.
Note for Trakt.tv users: the MP2 plugin was temporary removed from this release because the old API is no longer available. It will be back once it is adopted to the new Trak.tv API.
Feedback & Support
Discuss this release in the official release thread MediaPortal 2 - Summer '15 release
- If you are looking for further information please check out the MediaPortal 2 wiki first. We are working constantly to improve it, and you can help!
- If you don't find an answer there create a new thread in the MediaPortal 2 forums.
- If you find a bug, please check our Issue Tracker& bug report forums first. If it has not been reported already, create a new thread.
If you would like to support MediaPortal we would be happy to receive a small donation!
The Team wishes you a lot of fun with this new release!